Swimming Pool Permits
The City of Leawood is Only Accepting Electronic Plan Submittals for Building Permits at this time.*
*Permits and Plans can be submitted to CodesAdminGen@leawood.org along with a completed Building Permit Application Form.
Installing a swimming pool in your home, whether inside or outside, requires a building permit. Above ground pools are not permitted in the City of Leawood.
A permit application may be obtained in person from the Codes Administration Division at City Hall or by using this permit application. The form must be filled out completely and returned with the following required information:
- A completed permit application, and all of the information in the attached Swimming Pool Submittal Requirements.
- Contractors, generals and subs, are required to be licensed with both the City of Leawood and Johnson County. Select this link for more information about Johnson County Contractor Licensing.
- A fence is required to confine a pool. A fence may be constructed within and along all interior side and rear yards, but is not permitted in front of the building or line of the building as it extends to the side property line, or beyond the build line on the street-side side setback of a corner lot. The minimum height of the fence is four (4) feet; the maximum height is six (6) feet. Openings in the fence shall not allow the passage of a 4-inch diameter sphere. Gates for pedestrian access must open outward away from the pool, be self-closing and have a self-latching device. Gates other than pedestrian gates shall have a self-latching device. The release mechanism of the self-latching device must be at least 54 inches from the bottom of the gate, unless the mechanism is located on the pool side of the gate at least three inches below the top of the gate and the gate and barrier (fence) have no openings greater than one-half inch within 18 inches of the release mechanism. Access gates shall be equipped to accommodate a locking device.
- Swimming Pool Barrier Requirements
- Swimming Pool Equipment Requirements
Swimming pools require the following inspections:
- Niche installation (wet and dry)
- Final inspection – this inspection is required prior to filling the pool with water after all equipment has been connected and the fence has been installed.
Permits expire after 180 days from the date of issuance. Additional time may be granted if substantial completion can be verified prior to the expiration of the permit.