Outdoor Kitchen Permits
The City of Leawood is Only Accepting Electronic Plan Submittals for Building Permits at this time.*
*Permits and Plans can be submitted to CodesAdminGen@leawood.org along with a completed Building Permit Application Form.
A permit is required to install cooking equipment on the exterior or in an enclosed porch addition of your home.
Outdoor kitchenettes shall be limited to the rear yard and may encroach the rear yard setback no more than five (5) feet. Roofed structures shall be required to meet the rear yard setback.
Masonry structures, which are limited to permanent cooking facilities, fireplaces, and incidental storage related to the specific use, i.e. cooking utensils, firewood, etc. may be approved as an authorized accessory use subject to required administrative approval by the Director of Planning for the location and design. In order to prevent a negative influence on the neighborhood and creation of a potential nuisance the following conditions shall be considered minimum requirements to be met:
- The structure shall be complimentary in design to the primary structure.
- A landscape plan shall be submitted at the time of application indicating plant material, size, location and spacing proposed.
- In the case of a chimney, a chimney cap shall be required.
A permit application may be obtained in person from the Codes Administration Division at City Hallor by using this permit application. The form must be filled out completely and returned with the following required information:
- A completed permit application.
- Two copies of the proposed kitchen layout
- Contractors, generals and subs, are required to be licensed with both the City of Leawood and Johnson County. Select this link for more information about Johnson County Contractor Licensing.
Permits expire after 90 days from the date of issuance. Additional time may be granted if substantial completion can be verified prior to the expiration of the permit.