Pet License Renewal
Annual Pet License Renewal invoices are mailed the week between Christmas & New Year’s; and are due on/before February 28. Late penalty fees of $5.00 per pet, per month are assessed beginning March 1st.
Licensing Your Pet
Vaccinating and licensing your family pet is a beneficial means of protecting your animal against rabies and provides for an efficient method for the City to trace the animal’s ownership in the event it becomes lost. To do this, all dogs and cats must have a license within 30 days of being brought into the city or reaching the age of 6 months. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.
If your family has or wants more than two dogs and or two cats, you will need to obtain a Special Animal Permit Application from the City Clerk in addition to the animal license. An initial permit fee in the amount of $100.00 shall be paid by the owner, keeper or harborer of the animals identified in the permit. A permit renewal fee in the amount of $50.00 shall be paid (in addition to the license fee) each year thereafter.
All animals must be confined to the premises of the owner, except when taken off premises on a leash, or in a car, or other conveyance. Any animal(s) causing injury to persons or damage to property shall be presumed not under control of keeper/owner. Any animal picked up by Animal Control is subject to a leash law fine as well as a daily board charge. An animal picked up in Leawood must have current rabies vaccination and a city license before the animal can be released.
The following breeds are prohibited in the City of Leawood; Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, or any animal having the appearance or characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds known as Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, or American Pit Bull Terrier.
- It shall be the responsibility of the owner to renew animal license(s) prior to March 1, or late fees will be incurred ($5 per month per pet). Animal is defined as a cat or dog.
- Applications MUST be submitted online via CitizenServe and the following documentations will be uploaded:
- Copy of current rabies certificate (Veterinarian invoice or reminder letters are NOT acceptable)
- Copy of spay / neuter documentation (for pets not previously documented)
- Remittance will be made online (all 4 major credit cards are accepted.):
$5.00 spay / neuter
$25.00 non-spayed / neuter over 6 months of age
- Late Fees: ($5 per month per pet).
- When applying for licenses of 3 or more dogs, or cats per household, please use the SAP directions. The fee for a NEW SAP Permit is $100.00 non-refundable fee. Special Animal Permit renewal fee is $50.00.
- Applications and renewals MUST BE submitted with the following required documents uploaded on the CitizenServe website:
- Current copy of Rabies Certificate. (Veterinarian’s invoice, patient chart or history are NOT acceptable.)
- Spay/Neuter documentation, if not listed on rabies certificate copy.
- Animal License Renewal invoices are mailed by the end of December and are due on/before February 28 annually.
- $5.00 per animal spay / neuter.
- $25.00 per animal non-spay / neuter; over 6 months of age.
- Licenses are valid January 1 through December 31. Late penalty fees are assessed $5.00 per pet per month beginning March 1.
- The INITIAL Special Animal Permit non-refundable fee of $100.00 must be submitted with the completed application.
- Special Animal Permit RENEWAL letters are mailed by the City Clerk’s office and the fee of $50.00 is due on/before December 31st annually
- IMPORTANT: To obtain a city animal license, please submit the following documents with the completed copy of the application,
- A current copy of the CERTIFICATE OF VACCINATION,
- Spay / neuter documentation (if not listed on rabies certificate)
- Appropriate fee, which includes late fee if postmarked after 2/28.
- Renewal Invoices must be returned with appropriate fees and copies of current RABIES CERTIFICATE, if copy on file has expired.
PLEASE NOTE: Veterinarian’s invoice, patient chart or history documentation are NOT acceptable.