Gone But Not Forgotten

State Line Airpark was located on several acres at 135th and State Line Road 38.89 North/94.61 West.  A general aviation airport located directly along the Kansas/Missouri border (thus the name), with the eastern boundary of the airport property being State Line Road.  The date of construction is unknown. Noah Dunker’s grandparents lived 1/4 mile north of the airfield. His grandmother recalled there were no buildings in 1928, just a smoothed-over strip in a field.

A 1949 KS Airport Directory described State Line Airpark as having 4 sod runways, with the longest being 2,000 north/south strip. The aerial photograph on this page shows the gradual demise of the airfield as houses encroached. In 2001 the landing strips are still visible. By 2006, 133rd Street cuts through the airfield, and only the south section of runaway is still visible.

The Leawood Drive-In Theater was located at 124th and State Line Road Images below: The Drive-In in 1960, Grand Re-Opening 1979 (never happened) and in 1981. The Leawood Drive-In opened in 1953 at 120th and State Line Road. Owned by the Dickinson Theatre chain, it was proclaimed to be the “largest drive-in theater west of Chicago”. On the back side of the screen, facing the road, was a “colonial” facade compete with impressive two-story columns.

The theater gave way to residential development and closed in 1979.

Saddle & Sirloin was located where Mission Farms is now.

Leawood Country Club was located at 89th & High Drive.