The Leawood Fire Department provides service from three fire stations, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The department is internationally accredited by the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI) and has a “1” rating (exemplary)for fire protection capability from the Insurance Services Office (ISO).
Staff personnel include the Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief, Division Chief of Operations, Fire Marshal, Fire Prevention Captain, and an Administrative Services Assistant. Operational shift personnel are divided into three (3) battalions that rotate on a 24-hour basis under the direction of a battalion chief. Additional support is provided by on-call firefighters and recalled off-duty personnel. In addition, automatic and mutual aid agreements with surrounding jurisdictions allows the Leawood Fire Department to receive immediate support from other agencies in Johnson County and the surrounding Kansas City metropolitan area during a major event or when all Leawood units are engaged.
The Fire Department responds to a variety of incidents including fires, explosions, medical emergencies, hazardous material emergencies, and technical rescue incidents. The Fire Department also responds to incidents involving domestic terrorism and weapons of mass destruction (WMD). In addition, the Fire Department responds to a wide variety of non-emergency calls for service such as lift assists, disability assistance, and smoke detector assistance. The Fire Department also provides many community services such as certified infant and child car seat installation, tours, fire truck and crew visits, and a wide range of public education including CPR, AED use, first aid, fire extinguisher use, and fire safety.
For more information or to schedule a tour or visit, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (913) 266-0600.
Fire Department News
Leawood Maintains Top ISO Rating
April 25, 2022
On April 25th, 2022, the City of Leawood learned that it had maintained its Class 1 Public Protection Classification rating from the Insurance Services Office (ISO) after a comprehensive review which began back in October of 2021. The continued rating officially goes into effect on August 1st, 2022.
ISO is the leading supplier of statistical, underwriting, and actuarial information for the property/casualty insurance industry. Most insurers use the PPC classifications for underwriting and calculating premiums for residential, commercial and industrial properties. These findings allow insurance companies to establish premiums based on anticipated risk. Many communities also use the PPC rating as a benchmark for measuring the effectiveness of their fire-protection services. The ISO rating classification is provided on a scale of 1-10, with 1 considered as “exemplary”, and 10 considered “without protection.”
Leawood was evaluated in the following areas: the Fire Department including community risk reduction, Emergency Communications (The Johnson County Emergency Communications Center), needed Fire Flows, and Water Supply (Water District # 1 of Johnson County).
Leawood originally received its first Class 1 rating on June 1st, 2016. Prior to that, the City held a Class 3 rating. ISO evaluates approximately 39,000 fire protection areas across the United States. Of those, only 388 currently have a Class 1 rating. The Leawood Fire Department, an accredited department by the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI), is part of an elite group of only 114 departments nationwide to hold both a Class 1 ISO rating and international fire service accreditation. For comparisons sake, the National fire Protection Association (NFPA) currently recognizes 29,537 organized fire departments in the United States.
New Fire Station Construction
February 23rd, 2022
Construction has begun on the new Leawood Fire Station #1 at 9615 Lee Blvd. It will replace the existing Fire Station #1 at 9609 Lee Blvd which is the oldest operating fire station in Johnson County. The new station was designed by DeGasperi and Associates Architecture and is being built by StructSure Projects. The new station is projected for completion in early November, 2022.
Fire Department Accreditation
December 15, 2020
On December 15th, the Leawood Fire Department received a unanimous vote for re-accreditation by the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI). Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the hearing was conducted virtually. The Department was represented at the hearings by Mayor Peggy Dunn, Fire Chief Colin Fitzgerald, Deputy Chief Jarrett Hawley (Accreditation Manager), Division Chief of Operations Scott Gilmore, and the assessment team leader, Ken Horn. This is the department’s second appearance before the Commission after receiving initial accreditation in 2015 in Atlanta.
The hearing took place after a four-person peer review team completed a four day, comprehensive, on-site assessment in September. The peer review team remotely audited LFD accreditation documents including the Strategic Plan, Standards of Cover, and Self-Assessment manual before even coming on site. Once in the local area, all areas of the LFD including supporting infrastructure was verified and validated against industry best practices. The Department now has to complete annual compliance reports every year and repeat the entire process every five years, showing consistent growth and improvement to remain accredited.
Currently, there are only 281 accredited fire departments in the world under the CFAI model. Five of those can be found in Johnson County.
The Honor Guard was implemented in 2005 as a means of portraying the pride and professionalism of the Leawood Fire Department. The mission of the Honor Guard is to represent the Fire Department at local and regional events as directed by the Fire Chief. The Honor Guard is dedicated to honoring past & present Leawood firefighters and their families, as well as fallen firefighters across the nation. Typically, three to seven members participate in an event. While relatively new, the Honor Guard has served at a variety of events such as formal presentations, opening ceremonies, parades, and unfortunately, funerals for fallen firefighters.
On December 1, 1948, the City of Leawood became an incorporated City of the third class. One of the major reasons for incorporation was to improve city services, especially fire and police protection. At that time those services were provided by the Overland Park Volunteer Fire Department and the Sheriff’s Department in Olathe, Kansas. As activity and response times were increasing for the 832 residents of Leawood, a small group of men decided that Leawood needed it’s own fire department. Those men formed the Fire Department Committee and set out to organize the Leawood Fire Department. Since there were no funds available for the new City until the next tax year, a campaign was launched to raise donations from Leawood homeowners for the purchase of a fire engine and firefighting equipment. By November 1949, sufficient funds had been obtained to purchase a fully equipped 1949 Ford Central 500 Gallon Per Minute (GPM) pumper.
Brook Beatty, who was the owner of a plastics company in Kansas City, Missouri and a Leawood resident, was appointed to the position of volunteer Fire Chief. (Chief Beatty is pictured above in the white coat and fire helmet) Initially, the new fire engine was stored in a barn owned by Kroh Brothers Development near 96th & Lee Blvd. However, a new fire station was quickly built next to the barn on land donated by Kroh Brothers. The station at 9609 Lee Blvd. was built at a cost of $19,245.47 and was financed through the City’s first bond issue. While the station has undergone several additions and upgrades over the years, the building is still in use today as Station 31.
Chief Beatty developed the Leawood Fire Department into a highly efficient firefighting unit and in 1951, the City purchased another Ford Central 500 GPM pumper to add to its fleet.
Chief Beatty also determined that there was a need for specialized equipment such as the 1954 Jeep that was needed to go off-road to fight grass fires. The jeep was built and equipped by Chief Beatty and affectionately nick-named “Junior”. In addition, Chief Beatty saw a critical need for some type of ambulance service in Leawood, since it typically took 30 to 45 minutes or longer to get an ambulance for an emergency. That being the case, Chief Beatty purchased a 1956 Ford panel truck and skillfully converted it into a rescue vehicle, the first of its kind in the area.
In 1955, Chief Beatty began sending 16 year old Jack Sparks, who worked part-time at his plastics plant, over to mow the grass at the fire station and help clean the fire equipment. That youngster, who was nicknamed “Sparky”, slowly became proficient with all the firefighting equipment. During the next couple of years, Jack would often answer the alarm bell and drive a pumper to the scene, where he would meet the volunteers. While Jack Sparks was not “officially” hired as a firefighter, he was paid to work at the fire station on a regular basis until the age of 19. After being officially hired in 1959, Fireman Sparks worked for the Leawood Fire Department until he was drafted in 1962. During his tenure, Jack helped deliver training on a new technique known as insufflation, or mouth to mouth resuscitation. After Jack’s tour of service in the military, he returned to firefighting in the Kansas City area. After spending two years at Fire District No. 2, Jack retired from the Kansas City, Kansas Fire Department after 35 years of firefighting service.
By 1957, the Leawood Fire Department had grown to a fleet of four. In 1959, the Ford panel truck was replaced by a Cadillac Superior Royal Rescuer ambulance that was the pride of the Fire Department. Please note there is no audio with this video. As the City continued to grow, it became necessary to increase the pumping capacity of the fire apparatus so the two Ford pumpers were replaced by a 1957 American LaFrance 750 GPM Invader and a 1961 American LaFrance 1000 GPM Spartan.
The first “official” paid firefighters on record were hired in September 1958. Those firefighters, Jourdan A. Toman, Sr. and Herman W. Childs, began working from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm every other day except Sunday, while volunteers continued to provide the majority of the emergency response capability. In January 1961, in order to provide coverage around the clock, the Leawood Fire Department began to schedule paid firefighters to work 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Like many fire departments across the country, the volunteer ranks in Leawood have continued to dwindle over the years. Today, the Leawood Fire Department is a fully staffed paid department with only two volunteers remaining on the force.
Unfortunately, in 1961 Chief Beatty suffered a heart attack which eventually required him to give up his position as Fire Chief. In early 1962, the City appointed Max S. O’Brien as the City’s second volunteer Fire Chief. Chief O’Brien served the City in that capacity for the next four years, during which time he added additional paid staff and equipment. It was also during this time that “Junior” was sold, and, to say the least, missed greatly by all members of the Fire Department. Unfortunately, Chief Beatty passed away a short time after his retirement. In August 1966, a park located at 86th and Lee Blvd. was renamed Brook Beatty Memorial Park in honor of Chief Beatty’s dedicated service to the citizens of Leawood.
Jourdan A. Toman, Sr., who had left the department in August 1960, returned to Leawood in June 1962 to serve as the City’s first paid Assistant Chief under Chief O’Brien. In 1966, Toman replaced O’Brien and became Leawood’s first paid Fire Chief. Chief Toman became known as the “Chief’s Buggy”.
Over the years, the Fire Department continued to expand with both state-of-the-art equipment and paid firefighters. In 1970, female volunteers were trained in first aid and added to the volunteer staff to assist with ambulance calls during the day. Those female volunteers were affectionately known as “Rescuettes”. In 1973, the 1959 Cadillac ambulance was replaced by a new Cadillac Miller Meteor ambulance and the department purchased it’s first diesel powered fire engine, a 1974 American LaFrance 1,500 GPM Dominion pumper.
In 1978, the City’s second fire station was built at 127th & Mission Road to accommodate the City’s continued southern expansion. Chief Toman retired in February 1984 and was replaced by his Assistant Chief, Jerry L. Strack. When Chief Strack retired in March 1996, Ben C. Florance took over as the City’s fifth Fire Chief.
To continue our quest for excellence in customer service, the City’s third fire station was opened in 2002 at 148th & Mission Road, and includes the Fire Department administration offices. In October 2005 the City discontinued its ambulance service, which was taken over by Johnson County Med-Act. The Fire Department continues to respond to emergency medical calls but no longer transports patients to area hospitals.
Today the Leawood Fire Department provides response from three (3) fire stations twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. Paid firefighters, directed by a Shift Commander, are divided into three (3) battalions that rotate on a 24-hour basis to staff two engine companies, a quint, and a ladder truck, with a ladder truck and an engine in reserve. Other staff personnel include the Fire Chief, Deputy Chief of Administration, Deputy Chief of Operations, Fire Marshal, Fire Prevention Specialist, and Administrative Assistant. Additional support is also provided by on-call firefighters, volunteers, and off duty personnel. Automatic and mutual aid agreements enable the Fire Department to give and/or receive support from other fire departments in the Kansas City metropolitan area, as necessary.